How to set up your Nikon D40
for Professor Kobré’s Lightscoop®
The settings for using Professor Kobré’s Lightscoop® are the same as for other cameras, but the means of accessing the settings are different from those in the Nikon video tutorial.
- Turn the camera ON.
- Press the Info button just to the left of the On/Off dial. This will bring up a screen on the back of the camera with the current settings.
- The shutter speed and aperture should be visible. (If the full setting screen is visible instead, press the bottom to the left of the screen — it is normally used to magnify the image on the rear screen. Doing this will bring up the shutter speed and aperture settings.)
- With the shutter speed and aperture on the screen, turn the camera's exposure to Aperture Priority (A) (top dial) and change the aperture to 3.5 by turning the rear dial.
- THEN go back to the top dial and put the camera on MANUAL (M) exposure. NOW, change the shutter speed to 1/200 or 1/250 by turning the rear dial.
- Press the bottom button to the left of the screen.
- This will bring you into a screen that includes a series of icons along the bottom and on the right. You will be able to move through each of the icons on the bottom and on the right by using the arrows around the the OK button. Use the right arrow to move to the right, and so on.
- The Flash lightning bolt is at the bottom left of the screen. The lightning bolt should be selected. If not, press OK, and the choices will appear. Select the lightning bolt. Press OK.
- Leave the next box, Exposure compensation, as is. It should be 0.0. If it is not, press OK and select 0.0. This is the meter setting for the camera, NOT for the flash.
- The next box is the Flash Exposure compensation. Press okay to bring up the choices. Select +1. Press OK.
- The last box in the bottom row is for Metering. Press OK. Select the Spot Meter. Press OK.
- Move up the right column by pressing the up arrow. Move up to ISO. Press OK. Select 800. Press OK.
- Exit the Menu by pressing the Info button to the left of the ON/OFF dial.
- Install the Lightscoop.
- Press the On button for the flash (lightning bolt on left of camera) to turn on the pop-up flash. You are ready to shoot.